The Virginia Law Foundation congratulates John D. McGavin, immediate past president and Fellow (Class of 2006), on being selected as the 2023 recipient of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys’ Excellence in Civil Litigation Award!
Established to honor a distinguished jurist or civil litigator, this award is given annually to an individual who exhibits the following:
- The highest standards of ethics, demeanor, and temperament
- Exemplary conduct inside and outside the courtroom
- Courtesy and fairness in dealing with others
- Work of the highest quality
- Active community involvement, engagement in judicial, bar-related, and educational activities, and participation in activities that improve the civil justice system
John’s commitment to advancing the practice of law is evident in his more than four-decade career as a civil defense trial attorney throughout Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. Currently a managing partner at McGavin, Boyce, Bardot, Thorsen, & Katz, PC, John is a distinguished leader in his practice and community. In addition to his leadership roles with the Virginia Law Foundation, John has been a longstanding member and champion of VADA, serving on its Board of Directors and as president in 2004-2005. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, and a former member of the Steering Committee of the Boyd-Graves Conference.
VADA recently presented the Award for Excellence in Civil Litigation to John last month during their annual meeting in Virginia Beach. Please join us in congratulating John McGavin!